Monday, March 9, 2015

HEBREW CLASS l #24 l "2.4 I-Type Vowels" l John J. Parsons l School of the Bible l VidDevoChurch

Hebrew for Christians
BS''D
2.4  I-Type Vowels
Hebrew Vowels -
Simple I-Type Vowels
The next vowel group you will learn is called the "I-type" because it indicates an
"ee" sound (as in "siesta" or "green") when combined with a letter. The I-type vowels have the following pattern:
I-Type Vowel  Schemata
Note that the "X" refers to any Hebrew letter (for example Aleph, Bet, and so on) and the rectangular box below the letter refers to a one the following types of vowel marks (nikkudim):
I-Type Vowels
Notes:
  • Although these vowel marks look different, they both represent an "ee" sound.
  • Note which vowel is short (Chiriq) and which is long (Chiriq Yod).
Basic Syllables
A syllable is called "open" when it does
not end with a "stopping" sound:
A syllable is called "closed" when it ends
with a "stopping" sound:

Open Syllable

Closed Syllable

Open Syllables:
Open Syllables
Closed Syllables:
Closed Syllables
Practice Readings
One syllable:
Practice Readings
Two syllables:
Practice Readings
Three / more syllables:
Practice Readings
Quick Summary Card
I-Type vowels
Transliteration Practice:
CounterCentral hit counters Return to Unit Two Contents


email

No comments:

Post a Comment